UKLA Roll of Honour

uklaWoodside School has become the first school in Scotland ever to be shortlisted for the prestigious UK Literary Association (UKLA) Literary School of the Year Award 2017 it was announced today (Monday 28 November).

The school has made the shortlist Roll of Honour of only four schools – the others comprising two from London and one from Bristol – for the award which celebrates schools providing rich, exciting, innovative curriculums in English whilst achieving good outcomes for their pupils.

The winner will be announced on 1 July next year at the UKLA International Conference being held at the University of Strathclyde.

The school has been shortlisted for its innovative approach to literacy which includes a Reading Olympics, monthly book swaps, author visits and engagement with parents through Twitter and blogs.

Woodside School has also taken an active role in sharing practice with colleagues throughout Aberdeen City by sharing examples of their work with ‘Reflective Reading’ on Aberdeen City Council’s sharing good practice web site and having a Literacy Coordinator who is also a member of the city’s Literary Strategic Group

Councillor Angela Taylor, Education and Children’s Services Committee Convener said: “This is an amazing coup for both Woodside Primary School and the city of Aberdeen.

We are immensely proud of our work around literacy and the work that is being undertaken in individual schools.

“Only last week I attended a book launch of novels written by the Primary 5 pupils at Woodside School and their work was of such an impressive standard and everyone, including the children and staff were so engaged it was wonderful to see.

“It’s wonderful that their work has been recognised by UKLA and to be one of only four schools across the entire UK to make the Roll of Honour is an immense achievement.”

https://ukla.org/news/story/new-sponsor-and-roll-of-honour-2017-announced-for-prestigious-ukla-literacy

Bookmark the permalink.

2 Comments

1. Well done to pupils and staff at Woodside for this national achievement. This shows such committment and enthusiasm for learning. You are all STARS! I look forward to following this story.
    All the best for a successful 2017.

2. Purely by chance I stopped by the website. As a former pupil I wondered what Woodside was up to following on from a conversation with Mrs Humphries just before Xmas. Very pleased to see that the school has made it through to the shortlist for the Roll of Honour. I was a Librarian whilst in p6 and 7 and loved the excellent stock of books which were in there. Although I was already a good reader when I came across from Woodside Nursery (Mrs Todd), to start in P1 (Miss Robertson), I read lots of books from the library which became firm favourites of mine, (a couple of which I reordered recently!). Woodside certainly set me up for a love of books which remains with me to this day. It’s so important that kids discover what pleasure there is in a book, especially in this age of technology. I hope all goes well for the the School in the completion and well done to kids and teachers for getting this far!